Monday, May 20, 2013

When I Grow Up... I Want To Be Michael Caine


This week has been full of history. Tuesday our class took a trip to the Museum of London, which was fun. They had an entire exhibit dedicated to Michael Caine.

Love him. 

Some of my favorite displays were: ancient royal family crests engraven in stone, a story from Canterbury Tales also carved into stone, the exhibit of Victorian Life, and a lot of the more modern WWII displays. There was a lot to see. From there we went to Harrod's, which was really... something. It's essentially a luxury department store. Everything from Armoni for kids to diamond-encrusted silverware. It was cool to look around. We ended up buying some desserts there, which were wonderful.

Desserts... and sushi.

My donut was covered in edible glitter... which may or may not have been why I bought it. 

There was also a Harry Potter section in the store, which we enjoyed to its full extent.

Wizard Chess


Some other photos for you:


My brother would have loved the lego section

There were no places to sit inside the store and after walking around for ages and being unsuccessful in locating the second half of our group, we headed back to the flats. The other members of our original group were already there so we all rejoined and celebrated my roommate, Alexandra's birthday with dinner at Waggamammas, which is a great Japanese-inspired food joint. We had some trouble finding it and had to stop and ask directions from a very helpful lad in a local gym. Yes, we went into a gym to ask for directions. And yes, I called him a lad. We finally found it and it was well worth the wait.


Apparently it was the day for getting lost because we also struggled to find the theatre after dinner. We ended up wandering around for awhile and finally asked a taxi driver for directions. We got to the theatre about 2 minutes before curtain. We saw "Matilda"... which was definitely fun. It was very much a children's show, so the humor was geared toward a younger audience, but there were still times when I laughed out loud. It had some truly great moments. Plus the budget was huge so they pulled out all the stops. Seriously. Like, all of them. Lasers, and desks rising from the floor. It was a fun show. And there were some seriously talented kids in the cast. The girl who played Matilda and one of the boys (who had a fantastic solo where he sang a ton of runs and was basically a mini Whitney Huston) were particularly noteworthy. It was definitely not a show I probably would have sought out myself, so I'm glad my class had the opportunity to go.

The stage

Super talented kid

My favorite scene, "When I Grow Up"

No comments:

Post a Comment